- Meet Julia
Hi! I’m Julia Dent, a 20-something newbie to Philadelphia. In 2015, I graduated from Meredith College in May, cut my long hair in June, moved from North Carolina to Philly for an internship in August, got Annika the husky in September, and got a promotion in October, so it was a busy few months! Things finally settled down for me, and I decided to start off 2016 by launching my Philadelphia photography and travel blog!
So to get to know me better, here are 11 (somewhat) interesting things about me:
- I’m a huge history and Viking nerd. I’m so obsessed that I spent my last semester in college researching and writing a 45-page thesis disputing Viking stereotypes using Icelandic sagas. I’m a super nerd, right? (I also have two Nerd Corner posts about Vikings found here and here)
- Because of my obsession with Vikings, I spent a semester studying them in Denmark and exploring all over Europe. I even got to sail a Viking ship! (It’s way harder than it looks) I love all things Scandinavia (hence my awesome Fjallraven backpack!), and I’m currently trying to improve my Danish (also way harder than it looks).
- I love love love travelling! Along with my European escapades in college (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Estonia, Northern Ireland, France, and Ireland), I’ve been to Mexico, Italy, The Bahamas, 39 U.S. states, four Canadian provinces, almost 30 U.S. Presidential homes (fun fact: Ulysses S. Grant’s wife’s name was Julia Dent!), and numerous National Parks (my favorite is Yellowstone!).
- I’m the second oldest of five kids (we’re all super loud and crazy when we’re together).
- My family loves tennis and we’re all obsessed with Roger Federer. And when I say obsessed, I mean we’re basically on the verge of having a shrine to him (I even wrote an article about what an amazing athlete he is). I actually got to meet him and got his autograph on my 19th birthday after he played an exhibition match against Andy Roddick!
- Until recently, I had a Blackberry, don’t judge me. I had to move to an iPhone, but I miss my Blackberry’s keyboard!
- Along with being a history nerd, I love classic books. Jane Austen is basically my hero, and other favorite books include Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, Agnes Grey, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Atlas Shrugged.
- My favorite shoes are my bright yellow Converses! I may have size 12 feet, but I still rock my Converses 🙂
- In college, I created my own major (Media Writing) and had five minors: Photography, International Studies, History, Environmental Sustainability, and Professional Writing. I did all that (as well as lots of jobs) because my dream job is to be a photojournalist for National Geographic!
- I love classical music (Philip Wesley is my favorite), hot tea, slippers, classic movies with Cary Grant, and curling up on the couch with an old book, so my friends tell me that I’m already an old lady 🙂
- I am obsessed with old film cameras and I collect old photographs. Since this is a Philadelphia photography blog, you might see some posts on old photographs of Philly that I find!
You can also learn more about me with my Liebster Award and Sisterhood of World Bloggers posts, more about Philadelphia with my 11 Things I’ve Learned Living in Philadelphia and Four Days in Philadelphia posts, and more about my experience with blogging with my 9 Things I Learned My First Year of Blogging post! I hope you enjoy this photography and travel blog! 🙂